A short-term residence permit can be issued to a foreigner:
- who is married to a person permanently residing in Estonia;
- for settling with a close relative permanently residing in Estonia;
- for work;
- to study at an educational institution located in Estonia;
- for entrepreneurship.
A temporary residence permit may be extended if the grounds for issuing the residence permit have not changed and the application is justified.
A permanent residence permit can be issued to a foreigner who:
- immediately prior to obtaining a long-term resident's residence permit, he or she has permanently resided in Estonia for at least 5 years on the basis of a temporary residence permit*
- who has a valid temporary residence permit in Estonia and their place of residence has been entered in the population register;
- who has a permanent legal income to live in Estonia;
- who has health insurance;
- that has met the integration requirements, i.e. speaks Estonian at least on the basis of level B 1 specified in the language law or equivalent
You can learn more about the conditions for obtaining a residence permit in Estonia here: